Monday, March 9, 2015

My Friend Brendah, Who LIVES in Uganda

 Hey Everyone - 

We are shutting the door on Facebook for a while. On Thursday we will be getting new iPads with no Facebook. As a mission (as well as every other mission that has iPads) we will undergo new training with technology which is really exciting.

In honor of closing a chapter on Facebook, I am going to share a huge miracle I had with FB over the past few months.    

If you are serving in a mission that uses iPads and Facebook you "on-line proselytize." Back in December I came to the conclusion that whenever I went on Facebook, I was honestly just wasting time. So, I decided to take matters into my own hands and went on some "I Love Jesus" pages to find some potential investigators. Pretty much the worst idea of my life since most of the people I talked to were downright CRAZY. 

Eventually, I lost track of the people I had talked to or "friended" so I was a little surprised when a woman named Brendah from Uganda kept tagging me in pictures with African children.

I am not even kidding. EVERY DAY I would get tagged in these pictures of African children. It became this huge joke in our district (group of missionaries in my area). I was so confused and decided to stay clear of this Brendah lady. But for some reason, I always forgot to unfriend her so we always remained friends on Facebook. 

One day in January, I had this feeling I needed to FB message her. I was planning on politely telling her to stop tagging me in photos. I decided to ask her about religion since HELLOOOOO, I am an on-line missionary. 

Brendah and I ended up getting into this great discussion about Christ. We discussed that despite the trials in life, the Lord always comforts us. I learned that she is the director of an orphanage in Uganda. She figured out that I was some sort of missionary and thought I would like to see pictures of her orphans...hence the tagging. 

We immediately became really good friends and we always had these great discussions. One day, I shared with her my favorite scripture, Ether 12:27. I copied and pasted the link to the scripture on lds.org

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men their weakness that they may be humble.; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. Ether 12:27

The next day, I asked Brendah her thoughts on my favorite scripture. She told me that she really loved that verse as well as the WHOLE CHAPTER.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN SHE NOT ONLY READ THE VERSE BUT THE WHOLE CHAPTER!

I started giving her chapters from Book of Mormon to read. She not only read the chapters alone, BUT WITH HER ORPHANS! She reads the Book of Mormon every morning with them.  If you would like to know, their two favorite stories in the Book of Mormon are about the Jaredites in The Book of Ether and King Benjamin in The Book of Mosiah.

Crazy, right? 

I called our mission president, President Riggs to have him email the mission president in Uganda. When the Uganda Mission President emailed back...he told us that where Brendah lives is 3.5 hours away from the nearest Mormon Church and missionaries never go in that area. And, since Brendah runs an orphanage, she probably wants sponsorship or money. 

I was devastated. Here is a lady who reads the Book of Mormon everyday with the children and teaches about our gospel.  Through email, I told Brendah that as missionaries we do not sponsor anyone nor donate money; so I knew that wasn't a concern. How were missionaries supposed to get there? I decided to fast and pray that somehow, some way, missionaries would get to Brendah.

I would like to bear my testimony that prayer and fasting really work. A few Saturdays ago, two full-time missionaries/elders travelled over 100 miles to see her. Brendah told me that the children at the orphanage prepared a song and dance for the two elders. HOW AMAZING IS THAT?!

THEN last Sunday, Brendah travelled 3.5 hours by bus with 12 of her children/orphans and ATTENDED CHURCH! WHAT?! Could this get any better? 

I am so grateful for Brendah. She is truly amazing. The Uganda Mission is sending sister missionaries to her so she can be taught all of the lessons before she can be baptized. 

Two days ago, Brendah told me that a Mormon family sponsored one of her older orphans to come to the US to get an education. Brendah told me that she knows it's because of daily scripture reading that her prayers are answered.  

I am so grateful that I never unfriended Brendah on Facebook and that I felt strongly to speak to her through Facebook messaging. I know this church is true and that Mission Miracles can happen. Fingers crossed for Brendah as I sign off Facebook for the next six weeks! 

Love You All 

Sister Kelly

A Facebook Missionary Miracle.
Brendah is the gal with the white t-shirt, standing to her right of the sign. 

Brendah, with the two Elders and the Ugandan children.




The wonders of modern technology.
In a blizzard in Alexandria, VA and preaching the gospel in Uganda.
All at the same time. 

I am from Milwaukee. The snow feels great. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS