Monday, September 8, 2014

Six Weeks of a Steep Learning Curve


Hello Everyone!

I am back. This week it is me, Sister Kelly, writing the words. As stated in my post last week, my iPad was giving me problems. Last week I was unable to email from the local library because it was Labor Day. (I can't decide if that is a good thing or a bad thing.) Who knew Labor Day would be such a struggle?

Well I am one transfer down. Eleven more to go. I am not counting. (That's right?!?!)  I know my grandmother (Marilyn) has a jar and she puts a jelly-belly in it everyday I am gone. So, I know she is counting. :)  

A transfer is every six weeks. So, every six weeks I don't know if I am going to be moving to another area or staying put where I am. Luckily, I did not get transferred. I love my area and the ward.
  
Adjusting to the mission life has been no walk in the park. I have learned so much. So, in a nutshell, here are some of the things that I learned being a brand new missionary.  

Interpret each point as you wish.

- Never interrupt a former Black Panther (yes..a Black Panther member).
- Never try to discuss politics with people. Especially if they are crazy old men named "Dave" or "Richard."
- Do not ever sit on abandoned toilets.
- If you forget breakfast, you will regret it.
-  You can receive just as many endorphins if you pretend to workout.
- Dogs are EVIL, but squirrels are cute.
- God doesn't want to CHANGE you but he does want to REFINE you.
- There is a difference between change and refinement.
- God has a plan for each and every one of us; so access it!
- So what if Mormon Messages are cheesy? They are sooo good.
- Our trials are not consequences of disobedience; they are proof that the Lord wants us to grow. He knows that you are prepared to grow.
- Sometimes, to get to where God wants you to be and where we are currently...requires stretching.
-...and that stretching? Super uncomfortable.
- There is beauty in laughter.
- There is beauty in a broken heart and a contrite spirit.
- There is beauty in emotionally drowning, because that is when the Lord can fill us and keep us afloat.
- There is pure comfort in Christ.
- Pioneers were incredible people and everyone can be a Modern Day Pioneer.

I have learned so much. And I have learned a lot the hard way. This transfer and training and just being a missionary was seriously not what I expected. But that's okay! There is such power in learning and accessing God and Christ. There truly is!

Love you all! I hope everyone is healthy and safe.

xoxo Sister Kelly

P.S. WHAT?! JOAN RIVERS DIED? What is going to happen to, "Fashion Police?" Robin Williams, now Joan? Who's next? Jimmy Fallon? Better not be. 

Chick-fil-A isn't too terrible, I guess :0

The Oakton Zone...a valiant group.

Sweet Sister Kambourian, my Aunt Paula's friend who is in the neighboring ward.

My district. Another valiant group. 

I found my "Meredith." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS