Monday, July 13, 2015

These Are A Few Of My Favorite 12+ Things

Sister Kelly, waving goodbye upon entering the MTC
July 9, 2014

Hi Everyone - 

Well, it happened.

I hit my 1-year mark. For 365 days, I have been away from home. Walking into the MTC, I never thought this day would come; but it did. They say time SPEEDS UP after a missionary has hit the year mark, which I'm not very excited for. I feel like I need another couple years to build up my "refiner's fire tan."

So if you couldn't tell already, I really like numbers and lists. And, since I've been out for 12 months...I'm just going to put everything I want to share in sets of 12.  

 12 things you wanted to know about Northern Virginia but were too afraid to ask:

1. People in NoVA love their dogs more than people. I have seen more doggie day-cares out here than child day-cares. 
2. The humidity is pretty bad, but there is amazing air conditioning everywhere; so it's really doable. 
3. Fairfax County has incredible schools and people come from all over the world (literally) so their children can attend a school here.
4. Virginians love bumper stickers and personalizing their license plates. Virginia is the only state in the US where personalizing your plate costs only $10.
5. Of all the favorite license plates, these are my favorites: "IM DIVA", "10 CW WMN" (10 Cow Woman), "PEASANT", "IM KANYE", "SHUT UP", "CAT LDYZ", "RAPNZL" (Sister Rossi and I thought it meant 'rap nizzle' in honor of our friend Snoop Dogg, but turns out it meant 'Rapunzel') and last but not least, "I AM LDS."
6. People honk at you if you go the speed limit. They'll even honk at you if you go 5 miles over!
7. The spring and fall here totally make up for the summer and winter.
8. You have to have a parking pass for everywhere you park. If you don't have a pass, you get towed (learned that the hard way). I have had to miss appointments because of the parking issues. The parking struggle is real. 
9. Despite being in the thick of things politically, people hardly talk politics with us. 
10. There are no true "inner-city" areas in our mission. There are definitely rougher areas, but that's usually categorized into apartment complexes or small neighborhoods.
11. But trust me, the really wealthy areas are scarier than the inner-city areas. 
12. About half the people I meet can't tell me what they do for a living. After being here for one year, I've realized that many people have (probably) lied to me about their profession.

12 things that have changed about me that will probably shock my parents:

1. I can eat any fruit now without wanting to gag. Oranges still make me cringe but I can deal with it.
2. I don't like skim milk anymore...in fact, I only buy 1% or 2%.
3. I took a 7-min shower the other day. My dad would be so proud.
4. I get kind of bummed when I have to stop reading the scriptures.
5. I journal...sort of.
6. I can merge on the freeway like a pro and I can drive in flash floods and remain completely calm...and alive! 
7. I get so excited for General Conference that my heart accelerates when it starts.
8. I can rap Primary songs.
9. I can carry on a conversation about sports, dogs, the Civil War, cars, and obviously the gospel without making a complete fool out of myself.
10. I can't sleep in past 8:30 am! Even when I'm sick and on the verge of death! MIRACLES HAPPEN. 
11. I get so tired at around 9:30 pm. How did I go to bed at 5 am on a regular basis at BYU? I don't think (emphasis on the 'think') I'm ever doing an all-nighter again. Once again, MIRACLES HAPPEN.
12. I can get on the treadmill without wanting to curse the treadmill.

12 General Conference talks I love that have really impacted me on my mission:

1. Choose Wisely - Quentin L. Cook
2. Being Accepted Of the Lord - Erich W. Kopishke
3. Lord, I Believe - Jeffrey R. Holland
4. The Love of God - Dieter F. Uchtdorf
5. Approaching the Throne of God With Confidence - Jorg Klebingat
6. Truly Good And Without Guile - Michael T. Ringwood
7. Living the Gospel Joyfully - Dieter F. Uchtdorf 
8. As Many As I Love, I Rebuke And Chasten - D. Todd  Christofferson
9. Come What May, And Love It - Joseph B. Wirthlin
10. On Being Worthy - Marvin J. Ashton
11. Sharing Your Light - Neill F. Marriott
12. Like A Broken Vessel - Jeffrey R. Holland 

12 Scriptures I Love:

1. Ether 12:27
2. 2 Nephi 2:25
3. Romans 5:3-5
4. Alma 5:14
5. John 14:26-27
6. Mosiah 7:33
7. Alma 38:11-12
8. Helaman 5:12
9. Moroni 8:16
10. James 1:5
11. Colossians 3:13-15
12. 3 Nephi 13:28-34


So, there you have it. My first 12 monthes as a missionary in a nutshell. My mission has been the hardest thing I've ever done and yet, there is nowhere else I'd rather be. Grateful that I was called to serve in the Washington D.C. South mission. It's crazy that I only have 6 months left! 

Love, 

Sister Kelly

12 of my iPad's favorite photos:


















No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS